3 tips for a healthy summer 6/2/22
With summertime right around the corner, we would like to share some tips to help you and your family stay safe and healthy!
Tip #1: Be Safe in the Sun – As temperatures rise there are a few important things to remember to protect your health when you’re outdoors
• Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher and reapply as needed. • Stay in the shade as much as possible between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. – when UV light is strongest. • Wear long shirts and pants to cover your skin as well as a hat with a wide brim and sunglasses to protect your eyes, forehead, nose, scalp, and ears. • Do a skin self-exam and if you see anything that concerns you, especially if you notice something new or that has changed recently, and inform your primary care doctor. Preventive health services like cancer screenings are included in your health plan at no additional cost to you.
Tip #2: Stay Active – Exercise safely during the summer
• Avoid strenuous physical activities during the hottest hours of the day. • Find fun, out-of-the-box ways to move more during summer such as early morning gardening. • Drink plenty of water or beverages high in electrolytes before, during and after physical activity. • Wear breathable clothing that allows your skin to sweat and cool.
• Contact your health insurance company to learn if they offer discounts to local fitness centers.
Tip #3: Find Cool Ways to Refuel –Enjoy hydrating fruits and veggies
• Snack on chilled or frozen fruit, like frozen grapes! • Use 100% fruit juice to make popsicles at home. • Get creative with cold salads loaded with vegetables and beans. • Have a crisp, cool snack of chilled raw vegetables with a light dip.
• Blend your favorite fruit smoothie, such as the Triple Berry Smoothie below!
Triple Berry Smoothie
Ingredients 1 cup unsweetened almond milk 1/2 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt 1 teaspoon stevia sweetener or honey to taste 1/4 cup fresh or frozen, unsweetened blueberries 1/4 cup fresh or frozen, unsweetened raspberries 1/4 cup fresh or frozen, unsweetened strawberries Directions In a food processor or blender, process all the ingredients for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the desired texture. Pour into glasses.
Thank you for being a Covered California member!